This is a legacy wiki, and as such this page is seldom updated with new records. Users looking for up-to-date information should consult their respective wiki.
One Piece is one of the most popular manga and anime franchises in Japan. Polls stated that 1 out of 8 people in Japan (12.5% of their population) read One Piece. This wide appeal and great popularity lead to 4Kids Entertainment, an anime dubbing company, localizing the One Piece anime for English markets. However due to the cultural differences between Japan and the English-speaking world as well as differing media content laws, 4Kids had to edit episodes to fit the criteria for distribution in foreign markets. This carried on until the 104th episode, where FUNimation took over from the 105th episode onwards.
While the edits made to One Piece weren't done by Cartoon Network, it once aired on CN channels across the world, and as such is applicable for cataloging on this wiki. However as stated before this article is not expected to be completed, so please view this article for more information.
4Kids infamously censored many of the scenes and left many plot holes. This is an currently incomplete and out-of-order list of what was censored:
- Sanji's famous cigarrete was changed to a lollipop. This generally caused controversy, as a lot of the dialougue was changed with this edit and ending up sounding rather odd.
- Guns were edited into other weapons which were more family friendly. See the image above for the most prominent example of this, where a flintlock that Helmeppo was holding to Coby's head was changed to a hammer-like device.
- Characters of the black ethnicity were changed into those of the white, because 4Kids thought that some would see it as an ethnic sterotype and did it to avoid controversy. This ended up causing heavy controversy itself, because many saw the move as racism itself.
- All instances of 'ale' has been dubbed as 'juice', and if you cheat in the Drinking Contest, 'ginger tea'.
- Zoro's swords no longer cut people open, which made some scenes rather confusing.
- They replaced Laboon with an iceberg leaving out a vary important story if they got to Brook's Arc.
WARNING: Spoilers below.
- Belle Mere's death is changed, in the 4Kids dub she is imprisoned by Arlong rather than just getting killed and she is almost never mentioned again.